SPU’s Application Process for External Funding
1. Discuss your plan to submit a grant proposal with your Dean’s or Dean’s Representative (Chair or Asst/Assoc Dean).
2. Complete the Intent-to-submit form (found on the CSFD/OSP website).
3. Obtain Dean’s and Dean’s Representative approval and electronic signatures
4. Submit the form to OSP at least 3 weeks before the application deadline.
- Once OPS receives your intent to submit, we will open a file for you on the SharePoint site under grant development.
- All materials should be dropped into your grant application file. We request that no grant material should be sent to finance or OSP via e-email.
5. Write the proposal narrative and prepare the project budget
- Templates and budgetary support are found on the CSFD/ OSP website.
6. Request budget prep support from your department budget manager or the Finance Office.
- You are welcome to request proof-reading support, guidance on compliance, or SPU general information from OSP. We recommend that you notify OSP of any requested support at the time you send the Intent to submit form.
7. Send Finance your first draft of the budget and narrative no later than 2 weeks before the granting agency deadline.
8. Send Finance your final draft (narrative and budget) at least 7 business days before the deadline for their review and approval
9. Complete Responsible Conduct in Research and/or Protecting Human Subjects training if you haven’t taken it within the past 5 years.
- This is REQUIRED before OSP can submit your application
10. Deposit via Sharepoint all sections of your application, including your approved budget no later than 10am of the day before the granting agency due date.
- If the due date is a Monday, we must receive all grant application materials by 10 am on the prior Friday.
- OSP will not guarantee that we will be able to submit your grant application by the agency’s deadline if we do not receive all materials by 10 am the day prior to the deadline.
11. Notify OSP if you receive any correspondence from the funder (status updates, requests for revision, declinations, award notifications, etc)
- Forward all grant related correspondence to OSP which we will place in your grant file.
More detail on the application process can be found on the Pre-Award tab