1000 Portfolio

All students in WRI 1000 will turn in a portfolio at the end of the quarter.  A full assignment sheet can be found here. Portfolios allow students to develop a project over the course of ten weeks.  Students write and revise papers throughout the term, returning to ideas again and again, pushing those ideas, refining them, discarding some and pursuing others.  At the end of the course, students select their best work from WRI 1000, assemble it into a portfolio, and write a cover letter assessing their work.  The portfolio has three parts:

*  a revised paper of the student's choice, 4-6 pages
*  a cover letter, 2-3 pages
*  2-3 additional revisions of short papers, along with their original drafts

The revised paper can be either the paper from week 4, the paper from week 8, or a combination of the two.  The key is that it is a substantial revision, at least half new material.   This is an opportunity for students to rethink, again, their project.

In the cover letter, the student assessed her work from the quarter in light of the course goals.  Cover letters are most useful when the student defines each course outcome in her own words, then points to places in her work where she evidences that course outcome, while also assessing what she did well and where she could still improve her writing in light of the course outcomes.

The portfolio also includes 2-3 additional revisions of short papers from the quarter.  Let's say the student wrote a one-page synthesis of the readings at some point in the quarter; that'd be a candidate for additional revision.  Or let's say the student wrote a 200-word blog post aimed at the public, or a summary of a dense reading aimed at his roommate--both of those could be revised.  These additional revisions give students the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to write in a wider variety of genres than just the standard college paper.

Portfolio Grading: The Portfolio is 70% of a student's final grade in WRI 1000.  (The remaining 30% is participation--coming to class, turning in work on time, completing course evals, etc.).  The Portfolio is graded using the course outcomes--how well does the writing show each outcome?