MONOCHROME PALLET in Video - Okay, it is time to talk more about monochrome! Some things are strictly one hue, but much of what is called monochrome is more monochrome-ish. That is, it has a one-hue theme. For example, the video for Big Bang's song "Blue" - there is a bluish cast to the film, and only a few other colors here and there. And it is about feeling blue.
III. DYADIC COLOR SCHEMES w/ COMPLIMENTARY COLORS
COMPLIMENTARY COLOR schemes vary a lot from place to place. It depends on what color wheel you use! But there are a lot of general categories of complementary schemes, and some you will often find are blues with various warm yellows or oranges, a variety of greens with reds, and some yellows and violets. See if you notice any complementary pairs around you. Here is a song by the new Korean group B.A.P. called "Rain Sound" where the video features the complementary color contrast of red and green; watch to the end to see what I mean!
And in this video of Katy Perry's "Wide Awake" some of the scenes and some of her clothes are in dark purples and subtle golden yellows. And Here is a room designed with an orange and blue scheme, notice how grayed the blues are to help that orange hue feel comfortable!
III. TRIADIC COLOR SCHEMES
TRIADIC COLOR SCHEME in VIDEO - Prof. Natalie St. Martin noticed that Alicia Keys' video for "Girl on Fire" features triadic color schemes! Particularly secondary and tertiary triads. The use of color in this whole video is quite striking. Also, with a very different look, using a different triad of hues,a primary set with red, yellow, and blue, here is One Direction's "One Thing"
IV. QUADRATIC COLOR SCHEME
V. HELPFUL SITES to EXPLORE COLOR SCHEMES & PALLETS
There are many sites that allow you to create and play with color schemes including Color Lovers, Kuler, Color Scheme Designer and others. Have fun exploring!
This site helps you to determined which pallet might be best for a given project in 3 easy steps: 1. Pick a color; 2. Choose a harmony; (dyadic, triadic, etc.); 3. See results!
- COLOR LOVERS
- KULER COLOR SCHEMES On the Kuler Color Schemes website, if you go to "Create" you will see that they offer suggestions for models of color combinations based on some shapes around the color wheel: Analogous, Monochromatic, Triad, Complementary, Compound, Shades, and Custom. The first four are also on Itten's color chord list, but what do you think about Compound and Shades? and of course, Custom just means you can do whatever you like!
- Design-seeds Can you find an example of a triadic scheme?
- Color Scheme Designer
- Color Hunter This is a good one to get a snap shot of a color inventory for a particular image.
Here is a brand new Kpop video by the group Shinee called "Dream Girl". There are a lot of colors here, contrasted by scenes in black and white, but I notice a very distinct use of Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow in RGB mode - both in the clothes and interiors, and in the breaks and bursts of color that interrupt here and there.
Check out this series of digital images called Movie Barcodes. Films are condensed and distilled into a single image that reveals the overall color pallet of the movie. And these are beautiful images themselves! Thanks to student Lauren for sending me the link.
VIII. PALLETS FOR SKIN TONES
- Oil Portriats with Joy Thomas - video demo
- Digital Tutors - Painting Realistic Skin Tones
- Design Madness - Digital Painting Tutorials
- Skin I: NAVATE - Tutorial by Lauren K. Cannon
- Skin II: NAVATE - Tutorial for different skin pigmentation (to see the full tutorial, click on the image when you visit the link)
- Chart for different skin pigments