I. COLOR EFFECT & LUMINOSITY - Simultaneous Contrast, Successive Contrast, & After Image
Here are some interesting links on the subject:
- Video - Watch this to see how a single color changes its quality of luminosity according to its figure/ground relationship.
- Color Research Usage Lab
- How the Eyes Work
- The Magic of Simultaneous Contrast
II. ADDITIVE & SUBTRACTIVE COLOR
Here are some helpful video links that explain:
ADDITIVE COLOR explained in under 5 minutes.
Watch video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCs8mK1rzc0
III. THE SCIENCE OF COLOR AND LIGHT
- This 16mm film explains the unique and scientific behavior of light and color. Colors of an objects depend on both the physics of the objects in their environment and the characteristics of the perceiving eye. Be ready to time travel.
- Prof. Pete Vukusic from the School of Physics at Exeter University delivers the 2007 lecture on the physics of color. Hang in there for the whole thing, you'll feel really smart afterwards if you do 🙂
IV. COLOR THEORY ON-LINE
This handprint by Bruce MacEvoy about watercolor painting has an amazing section on color theory here. There are pages about the history of color theory, optics, and contemporary developments in theory and conversations on color.
V. NEITZ COLOR VISION LAB-
The Neitz Labs are developing genetic tests and treatments for common vision disorders, and investigating the retinal circuitry for vision.
- Listen to the complete NPR series on Color. Feature includes:
- Kodak -How Kodak's Shirley Cards Set Photography's Skin-Tone Standard
November 13, 2014 • Named for the original model — an employee of Kodak — the portraits were used by photo labs to calibrate printers. But until the 1970s, that model was always white.
- Jemal Countess/Getty Images - Sacred, Sad And Salacious: With Many Meanings, What Is True Blue? In medieval art, Virgin Mary was cloaked in blue. In Colonial America "blue laws" made it illegal to buy alcohol on Sunday. And more recently, irreverent blue humor made blue the most off-color color.
- How Animals Hacked The Rainbow And Got Stumped On Blue
- There's more than one way to make color, nature tells us. And more than one way to use it to your own advantage. Never mind the physics. Color isn't just a particular wavelength of light, it turns out. It's a fascinating mix of context and what's happening outside and inside your head.
VII. WHAT IS COLOR?
It seems like a simple question at first, but when you think about it, the reality of what we're seeing is a pretty complex situation. Our human eyes sift through a small piece of the vast electromagnetic spectrum and translate it into every color of the rainbow.
VIII. COLOR BLINDNESS
What is RED GREEN Blindness http://eyesteve.com/color-blind-christmas/
How dogs see the world. https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/innocuous-behaviors/through-a-dogs-eyes
IX. SOLID LIGHT