Kimberly Wedeven Segall, Ph.D.
Seattle Pacific University 3307 Third Ave W. Seattle WA 98119-1922
Phone: 206-281-2040 fax: 206-281-2335 email: email@example.com
Professional Experience and Education
Professor of English, Seattle Pacific University, 2001-2015
Affiliate Faculty of Gender Studies, University of Washington, 2005-2015
Northwestern University Ph.D. English Literature, Postcolonial Studies emphasis, June 2001
South Africa and Spain/Morocco Study Abroad Programs, Research Experience in South Africa, Iraq, Morocco, 1994-2015
- Performing Democracy in Iraq and South Africa: Gender, Media, and Resistance, Syracuse University Press, November 2013.
- “Contestational Spaces and the Nervous Conditions of Postcolonial Theories,” Teaching the African Novel, edited by Gaurav Desai (MLA / Modern Language Association Series, 2009), 371-385. 32.
- “Melancholy Ties: Inter-generational Loss and Exile in Persepolis,” Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, 28.1 (2008), 38-49.
- "Collective Mourning Practices in Iraq and South Africa," Lamentations in Ancient and Contemporary Contexts, edited by Nancy Lee and Carleen Mandolfo (Atlanta: SBL, 2008), 177-194.
- “Postmodern Mourning in Durrant’s Postcolonial Narrative and the Work of Mourning,” Journal for the Interdisciplinary Study of Rhetoric, Writing, and Politics 26.3 (2006): 706-714.
- “Story and Song in Iraq and South Africa: From Individual to Collective Mourning Performances,” Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, 25:1 (2005): 138-151.
- “Pursuing Ghosts: The Traumatic Sublime in J.M. Coetzee’s Disgrace,” Research in African Literatures, 36:4 (2005): 40-54.
- “Postcolonial Performatives of Victimization,” Public Culture 38 (2002): 617-619.
Select Conference Papers:
- "Emergent Sectarianism and Trans-National Tremors in Iraq," Henry Jackson International School, University of Washington, New Voices Series, May 6, 2015.
- "Hope for Israel/Palestine?" For Such a Time as This, Seattle Pacific University Conference, May 5, 2015.
- "Trans-National South Africa: Performing Changing Ideas of Race, Gender, and Democracy," April 23, 2015, University of Washington, Sponsored by GWS, History, and African Studies Dept
- "Choices Across the Wall: Another Look at The Other Son, Middle East Focus Film Series Talks. Skinner Hall, Seattle, WA. March Film Series Talks, 2015.
- "Performing Democracy: Stories of Muslim Women's Protest," Creative Conversations Forum, Seattle Pacific University, May 8, 2014.
- "Arab Spring or Arab Winter: Hope for Democracy?" Center for Scholarship Development and Perkins Reconciliation Center event, Upper Gwinn, May 19, 2014.
- "Testimonies of Refugees and Stories of Iraq after ISIS," Interfaith Network of Concern for the people of the Iraq, INOC Guest Speaker, February 7, 2015.
- "Crossing Cultural Divides: Performing Democracy in Iraq and South Arica," Presentation for College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Retreat, Upper Gwinn, September 11, 2014.8
- Re-thinking Power and Powerlessness: Listening to Iraqi Voices in Blogs from Baghdad, Day of Common Learning, SPU Presentation, October 22, 2014.
- "Of the Persecuted," talk with Peter Ilginfritz, and workshop forum of "Poetry of Iraq with Khawla Hadi and Marwa al-Mtowaq," UCUCC, November 9, 2014.
- "Race in America after Ferguson," Presentation, Upper Gwinn, Seattle Pacific University, October 28, 2014.
- "Anti-Apartheid Theater in South Africa and Palestine," MLA/Modern Language Association, Vancouver, Canada, January 10, 2014.
- "War Blogs from Baghdad: Revisioning Sectarian and Gendered Strife," MLA/Modern Language Association, Vancouver, Canada, January 10, 2014.
- "Baghdad Burning: Sectarian Developments and the Witness of Blogs," American University of Sulamanya, Iraq, November 23, 2014.
- "Re-visioning Iran through the Graphic Memoir of Persepolis," University of Hawler, Erbil, Iraq, October 14, 2014.
- “Challenging Sectarian Media: Iraqi Voices and Nine Parts of Desire,” MLA / Modern Language Association, January 6, 2011.
- “Feminist Melancholia: Public and Virtual Identities in Baghdad Burning,” MESA/ Middle East Studies Association Conference, November 20, 2010.
- “Iraqi Voices: Refugee Stories,” Reconciliation Studies Panel, Reconciliation Conference, Seattle Pacific University, 2009.
- “Collective Melancholy: Generations and Collective Identification in Persepolis,” MESA/Middle East Studies Conference, Nov 21, 2008.
- “Performing Loss, Claiming Identity: Raffo’s Depiction of Iraqi Women,” MESA/ Middle East Studies Conference, MESA, Nov 20, 2007.
- “Transitional Identities at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission,” African Studies Conference, University of Washington, April 20, 2007.
- “Iraq in Fragments,” Panel Speaker, International Justice Film Festival, Univ. of Washington, April 14, 2007.
- “Social (In)justice and the Spectacular Gaze: Marjane Satrapi and Inter-generational Trauma,” Feminist Dialogues on Social Justice, University of Washington, Oct 28-29, 2006.
- “Witnessing Bodies: The Unveiled and Violated Portraits of Satrapi’s Persepolis,” MLA/ Modern Language Association Conference, Washington DC, December 27, 2005.
- “The Politics of Healing: The Truth and Reconciliation Commission,” African Studies Conference, Nov. 2005.
- “The Nobel Prize Winner and the Politics of Disgrace,” MLA/ Modern Language Association, Dec. 27, 2004.
Grants / Fellowships
Lily Endowment SERVE Iraq Women and Iraqi Voices Workshop, 2009
Seattle Pacific University Faculty Grant, Women's Studies and Middle East, 2006
Seattle Pacific University Faculty Research Grant, 2002-2003, 2003-2004
Lily Endowment Grant (SERVE) for South Africa Study Program, 2003
Women’s Study Grant for Ethnic Studies Curriculum, 2002
Dissertation Year Fellowship Research South Africa, 1999 - 2001
Directed Performances / Reconciliation workshops / videos
Reconciliation Workshop, BISK International School, Erbil, Iraq, 2014
South Africa—Directed Khumbulani Xhosa Survivors of Violence Performance Trauma Center, Cape Town, South Africa, 1999-2000
Performance Interviews Video for Khumbulani, Trauma Centre, Cape Town, South Africa, 1999; 2003
Theatre for Reconciliation Conference / Practitioner Workshop, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa, December, 2000
Modern Language Association (MLA) 2000-2015
African Studies Association (ASA) 2000-2005
Middle East Studies Associations 2006-2015