Religious Identity

In Marjane Satrapi's book "Persepolis," the main character, Marjane, goes through many struggles with define her religious identity after facing trauma in her life. On pages 6-8 we see Marjane happily in a relationship with God, aspiring to be the first female prophet, only to come to page 17, where she cannot find God after she hears about the burning of the theater.

www.d.umn.edu

Religious identity can be defined as feeling the belonging to God or a religious group. When young, Marjane feels very attached to God and talks with him frequently: "Every night I had a discussion with God (Satrapi, 8)." But as she got older and the violence around her increased, her mind was

focused on other things such as protest and freedom and her talks with God got lesser and more talking rather than listening to the point that she even hushed God when he was trying to talk with her in order to hear her parents (p.14). As the problems get worse, Marjane struggles more and more with her faith and whom she is. After her uncle Anoosh dies, however, she cuts of God completely, even when he tries to comfort her: "Shut up, you! Get out of my life!!! I never want to see you again (p.70)." This separation she recognized as feeling "lost without any bearings (p. 71)." It is at this point that you see where she has fallen too. With so much pain and suffering in her life, she doesn't know where to turn and her old dreams of helping others as a prophet suffer because she feels unable to help anybody. I feel for Marjane and her feeling of worthlessness and helplessness. The violence is keeping her from her life goals, taking away the pillars of her faith to the point that she can no longer relate to it. Her religious identity id skewed and undefined until she can find the answers and her place in the world and her surroundings.