Innocence and Relearning History

1. Religious Identity in Persepolis

The innocence of Marjane's initial religious life is something so relatable for me. There is the initial view of God as a loving, omnipresent figure that is there to talk to and have long discussions with. The shift that occurs, though, when Marjane begins to educate herself and notice all the horrid things happening in her country, she begins to doubt God. This shift from innocence to doubt is something I feel most people go through at some point in their distinctive faiths. The moment in which Marjane is in her room and asks, "God, where are you?" is relatable to so many on their religious journeys. The fact that this is where the story begins, that we see this innocence and this fall from it, is so important. Her story would not be whole without readers being able to see the shift from innocent belief, to terrifying, heart-breaking doubt. Being able to see this shift better shows and perhaps unfolds the nervous condition we see that Marjane has in the image I've chose to include. It shows that it is not just as simple as modernity versus tradition or religion versus science, but of youthful innocence versus the harsh realities we are faced with when we grow up and realize some things can not be fixed by just wanting to be a prophet with the ability to make things better.

2) Information on Iran

Information I found: https://partners.nytimes.com/library/world/mideast/041600iran-coup-timeline.html

I know hardly anything about Iranian history. As illuminating as this graphic novel has been, I still don't feel like I know much. So, though this isn't an article, and is actually not about the 1979 Islamic revolution, I still feel like I learned a lot from reading this timeline. It cleared up some of the questions I had and put things in the right order in my mind. It also illuminated the role of the CIA, which was shocking to me. I wish I knew more about this, and I know that there is a lot to learn, but I think this is a good place to start. Clicking through some of the links brings you to articles from the New York Times in the 1950s. These are super interesting. I feel, after looking through this timeline and some of these articles that I have a better idea of the events that lead up to Marjane's own life and story. Like Marjane, I had to learn some new things in order to understand the rest of things better.