A Painted Ideal

I feel that Masugi Ono is a man who remembers what happened at the war, but chooses what to remember and what not to. it's not that he forgot or happened to repress these feelings, but it is the fact that he chooses to bring forth those that he feels benefit him or have purpose, rather than those he wishes not to believe. I think a lot of this has to do with his traditionalist and patriotic stance. I don't think he likes remembering that Japan lost the war, or that with the American presence there that Japanese traditions are being over-shone by Western culture. I think he is worried about the future of his grandchildren, as I see his grasping to be closer to Ichiro and again and again disappointed when Ichiro clasp

http://www.library.vanderbilt.edu/speccol/exhibits/WW2/internment/outcasts.jpg

s tightly to an American character or way. I think, in a way, he has a certain shame of the "younger generation" that he sees as flawed and changed by the war. "Most things are more complicated than they appear, Mr. Enchi. Young men of your generation see things far too simply (Ishiguro, 113)."

The image I selected is of a Japanese-American mother and her baby on the cover of a book about Japanese treatment in America during the second world war. I thought this would be a good picture to show seeing as the Japanese encountered different, though somewhat similar treatment in the Americas as opposed to in Japan during and right after the war. Pearl Harbor was at the root of many of these negative feelings, but really, there was no excuse for the poor treatment of any people during those tough times. I remember learning about Japanese camps in my US History course in High School and reading the fascinating novel No-No Boy by John Okada. Reading An Artist of the Floating World, made me think back to our studies in that class and Okada's novel (which even takes place in Seattle!).