We participate together in several professional activities outside of clinical and research training. Some of this work is with out local community partners!
4-H Youth Development:
- Judging 4-H record books in the fall (whole team)
- Judging 4-H public presentations in the spring (whole team)
- Providing record book (and other) workshops as invited (select team members)
- Host/promote relevant speakers (Shane Lopez, Ph.D. [hope]; Bryan Dik, Ph.D., [calling])
- Coordinate SPFC Student Research Conference
- Provide pre-departure training to international immersion learning participants.
- Provide re-entry debriefing individually and at retreats.
Western Psychological Association:
- Coordinate WPA’s continuing education program.
- Coordinate WPA’s International Program.
- Promote D52/International Psychology
- Coordinate the student poster competition
- Host the International Psychology dinner
- Attend WPA stats camp.
Editor Mentoring: Our RVT has worked collaboratively with APA’s Division of International Psychology’s journal, International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation, to ensure that it is an outlet for scholars in developing countries. Often these researchers lack access to the requisite resources (e.g., current literature, statistical software) for publication in Western journals. When the science behind a research project submitted to IPP is evaluated as potentially worthy of publication, Dr. Bikos is often asked to provide “editorial mentoring.” We take projects as advanced doctoral students are available. At times, authorship is available for the doctoral student (oftentimes, not). Our first three projects were published!